Teeth Whitening in Gaithersburg, MD
Consider tooth whitening to enhance the brightness of your natural teeth, but consult the Lakeside Dental Team first, especially if you have discolored or sensitive teeth, white spots, decay, infected gums, or any dental work on your front teeth like bridges or crowns.
Whitened teeth typically last 4–12 months, influenced by the treatment type and consumption of teeth-staining foods/drinks like blueberries, coffee, and tea. Maintain white teeth through excellent oral hygiene, no whitening needed.
Types of Whiteners If approved by the doctor, you can opt for either OTC whitening kits or dentist-supervised treatment.
If using an over-the-counter whitening kit, choose one approved by the American Dental Association and follow the directions on its package. Store-bought kits require 7–30 days of consistent use for full effect. Individual results can vary.
Dentist-supervised treatments provide greater tooth-whitening results than store-bought kits. Two types of treatment are available:
In-office treatment whitens teeth quickly in 45 minutes. And Dentist-dispensed take-home kits, which have a stronger whitening agent and yield more satisfying results than store-bought kits.
- Prepare your mouth by covering your lips and gums so that only your teeth are exposed.
- Apply a professional-strength whitening gel to your teeth.
- Expose your teeth to a special light for 15 minutes to help the gel penetrate and whiten your teeth.
- Invite you to watch TV or listen to music as you relax in the chair.
- Reapply the gel and light treatment two more times.